Manual code checks performed by a fellow team member for extra security
Programming web applications is a team sport. The foundation is created by good internal agreements, laid down in code standards. This is the only way an entire team can maintain a platform or application, and it simplifies (continuous) extensions.
Work delivered is checked against code standards in an automated way through the build server, as well as in a code review performed by a team member. Of course, any feedback is processed by the programmer.
What are code reviews?
Code reviews are manual checks on code delivered, performed by a fellow team member. Basically, it is a peer review completed by a co-worker who checks if they understand what’s happening in the new or modified code and if it’s in line with the agreements we’ve made as a team. A code review is always requested before the code is actually added to the web application so as to ensure less errors.
New code is always added through version control: software that provides insight into a web application’s versions. Every time a programmer adds or modifies code, it results in a new version in version control, and a team member is automatically asked to review this new version of the code. It’s very efficient!
Why code reviews are useful
- The end result is of much higher quality
- Sometimes, a fresh perspective results in better ideas or a more efficient solution
- Learning on the job: less experienced team members can also work on this and learn a lot from others in a short time
- The initial investment of time will result in considerable time savings when new extensions are added in the future
Code reviews: what do we check?
The main questions are:
- Does the code contain patently obvious errors?
- Considering the original requirements, are all assignment requirements met?
- Does the code delivered match the agreed-upon code standards?
- Should the set of automated tests be modified or added?
What does PSR mean?
Need advice? We are happy to help you.
Tell us about your ambition and start today!